What We Want – Art
BROADSWORDS AND BLASTERS is looking for art in the pulp magazine tradition. What does that mean? We want your high quality 2D (either traditional or computer drawn) artistic depictions of:
- sword and sorcery;
- westerns (Weird or otherwise);
- horror (Cosmic, Southern Gothic, visceral, and psychological);
- detective tales;
- two-fisted action;
- retro science fiction.
- We purchase non-exclusive rights for pre-existing artwork.
- Pictures should feature strong characters and visceral action.
- Despite having great action, detailed settings, and iconic characters, much of old-school pulp is unfortunately emblematic of limited cultural ideals that we have no interest in propagating. As such, we encourage diverse characters and welcome art that subverts the standard pulp formula.
- For rating guidelines we are looking at PG-13. That means no overt nudity.
- Submissions must be high resolution (at least 300 dpi) .tif files
- We prefer full color cover art submissions, but may entertain the idea of a grayscale image that we love.
- For cover art we prefer, but do not require, 11″ x 8.5″ landscape with 1/4″ bleed. All important action should appear on the right half.
- We will also accept portrait art that measures 5.5″ x 8.5″ with 1/4″ bleed.
- We will have our title logo across the top. It measures approximately 1.5″ x 7″. Keep this in mind so that we aren’t covering up something important.
- We may also feature author names and story titles, but we will attempt to make sure your art shines through.
- We prefer interior art that measures 5″ x 4″.
- At this time, we are NOT accepting 3D art, such as works created in Poser or other ragdoll art programs.
Payment and terms
- For cover art, we pay a flat $50.00.
- For interior art, we pay $10.
- We will purchase art on a non-exclusive basis.
- We purchase First Serial rights and electronic rights. All rights remain with the creator, but we retain the right to continue selling back issues of the magazine, the right to archive your art, and anthology rights.
- All payments will be made through PayPal.
- All published contributors will receive a comp electronic copy.
How to Submit
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the subject line Art: (the title of your work)
- Include a short cover letter in the body of your email. Mention the title of your work. The cover letter should also include a short biography (100 words or less). Don’t forget to mention any social media accounts (Facebook, twitter, etc) you would like to have included with your bio.
- Our goal is to reply within 2 – 4 weeks of submission. If you haven’t heard from us after 30 days, please send a query to email@example.com. Please include the title of the story you are querying about. As we are a quarterly magazine, it is possible that we’ll accept art that won’t see publication for several issues.